Steven is an experienced Civil Litigation specialist. He regularly appears in all Isle of Man courts and tribunals, and has acted or advised in a number of high-profile and high-value disputes in recent years, both reported and unreported. Steven also participates in the Isle of Man Law Society lecture programme for trainee advocates, and has lectured on behalf of Quinn Legal concerning the constitutional law implications of Brexit for the Isle of Man.
In his spare time Steven is writing a textbook on civil litigation in the Isle of Man for trainee advocates and practitioners.
- M.A. & LL.M. (Downing College, Cambridge)
- E.C.S. Wade Prize for Constitutional Law (University of Cambridge) (top starred First)
- Jules Thorn Scholar & Harmsworth Exhibitioner (Middle Temple)
- Barrister, called to the Bar of England & Wales (non-practising)
- Advocate, called to the Manx Bar 2011
Reported Cases (selected)
- Metro Baltic Horizons Plc & others v James & others (ORD 12/61) (lis alibi pendens)
- AM Personnel Limited v Salazar Consulting Limited & others (CHP 12/137) (injunctive relief / breach of confidence)
- Simpson & others v Light House Living Limited & another (2DS 2010/29 & JCPC 2012/0014) (Staff of Government Division & Judicial Committee of the Privy Council) (insolvency set-off)
(permission granted to appeal to the JCPC)
- Harrison v Resource Support Services (Isle of Man) Limited & another (Employment Tribunal) (11/88) (sex discrimination)
- X v HMAG (2DS/2010) (costs of appeal / permission to appeal to the JCPC)
- Clarkson & another v DoI (CHP 11/43) (judicial recusal / leave to file doleance claim out of time)
- DoI v Clarkson & others (CHP 10/107) (amendment to definitive maps and statement / nature and extent of court’s jurisdiction)
- Murphy v Templeton (OP 10/23) (appeal from Employment Tribunal)
- O’Hare v St. Christopher’s Fellowship & another (ET/924) (2008) – (unfair dismissal Isle of Man)
- Inquiry into Waste Management Facilities at Archallagan, Turkeyland and Point of Ayre (2008)
- Commission of Inquiry into the Care of Young People (2006)
- Inquiry into the Exercise of Certain Functions by Braddan Parish Commissioners (2005)
- Isle of Man Deputy Surveillance Commissioner (2009-present)
- Isle of Man Law Society
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Isle of Man Data Protection Tribunal (2010-13)
- Former volunteer, Public Law Project
- Former translator for the European Court of Justice (French/English)
…and now a bit of personality
A keen supporter of live music, Steven is a member of the Tallis Consort, and is a director of the popular Centenary Centre in Peel. Steven is also a director of the disability information charity, Disability Networks.
Get In Touch Today
Alternatively, you can fill out our handy online enquiry form and one of our team will be in touch within 24 hours.