Our Employment advocates are here to help you. If you’re involved in a contract breach, contact us on 01624 665522 for expert employment advice.
What Is An Employment Contract?
A contract must be signed when you’re employed, regardless of the industry, sector or job. This document legally sets out the terms of your job, including but not limited to, job title and description, working hours, salary, sickness and disability, holidays and notice period.
The terms written in a contract are based on the rights given to employers and employees as stated in the law. On the Isle of Man, employees have a right to receive the minimum wage, be paid annual leave (holidays), have a safe place to work and be protected from discrimination.
How Will I Know If My Contract Has Been Breached?
A breach of contract occurs when you or your employer fail to follow the agreed terms. Should a breach of contract be taken to court, the innocent party may be awarded damages once a resolution has been decided.
Common Breach Of Contract Examples
- Failure to pay wages on time
- Failure to pay the correct amount of wages
- Health and Safety breaches in regards to working conditions
- Failure to give employees the required notice period or payment in lieu (if contained in contract)
- Failure to give the contracted amount of annual leave
- A fundamental term of the contract which means the employee can claim constructive dismissal (e.g. not to continuously swear or abuse them)
- Not working the required contracted hours
- Not following company procedures that form part of their contract
- Breaching any post-employment restrictions such as working for a competitor or poaching customers
- Failure to give employer the required notice period
- Losing a qualification required for the job, e.g. drivers licence
- Stealing from an employer or acting in a way which is deemed gross misconduct
How Does Manx Employment Law Handle A Breach Of Contract?
Any breach of contract claim must be brought to the Isle of Man High Courts of Justice. This is different to the position in England and Wales where breach of contract claims can be brought to the Employment Tribunal.
How Can Quinn Legal Help?
At Quinn Legal our Employment team are specialists in advising on breach of an Isle of Man employment contract and appreciate the sensitivity needed in handling employment matters.
We’re experienced in assisting employers and employees alike, and have up-to-date commercial knowledge to share.
- Advise you of your legal position
- Explain the implications of a breach of contract
- Suggest time-sensitive solutions adapted to your circumstances and needs
- Help you to decide if court action is the only route to take
- Discuss the damages you could claim for (if applicable) and the organising process involved
- Assist you throughout any court action and provide sound legal advice throughout
Get In Touch Today
Alternatively, you can fill out our handy online enquiry form and one of our team will be in touch within 24 hours.